This Classic Beef Chili is simple to prepare and you can easily find all the ingredients in a grocery store. You may even have everything at home right now!
1 # Ground Beef
1 Large White Onion
3 Large Cloves Garlic
3 Tbsp Cumin – Divided
3 Tbsp Chili Powder – Divided
1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
1 tbsp Oregano – Divided
2 tsp Cinnamon, ground
1/2 tsp Clove, ground
1/2 tsp All Spice, ground
1 # Ground Beef
1 16oz jar or package of Pureed Tomatoes
1 can of Red Kidney Beans
1 – 1 1/2 cups of Water or Chicken Stock
2oz of Dark Chocolate
1. Small dice the onion and mince the garlic. Put in a large dutch oven or soup pot with some olive oil. Gently saute until translucent. Add a pinch of salt at this point.
2. Add in ground beef. Once cooked: If lean, and there isn’t too much fat, don’t worry about straining. If there’s a lot of fat, strain the fat off into an empty milk carton or bowl and discard it in the trash. Return the mixture to a pot. Add a couple of pinches of salt (just a little!).
3. Add in half of each spice (~1.5 Tbsp Cumin, 1.5 Tbsp Chili Powder, etc). It doesn’t have to be exactly half. The key here is to add spices in the beginning, and in the middle. This will build flavor. You can also mix all the measured spices together and just add half of that mixture if easier.
4. Add in pureed tomatoes and red kidney beans. To the pureed tomato can or package, add in 1 cup of water, or add in 1/2 cup of chicken stock. This way you get all the tomato puree stuck on the sides of your can. If you like your soup a bit thinner, add more liquid until you have a nice soupy consistency. It will cook down a bit. **
5. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add in dark chocolate, the other half of all your spices, and another pinch or two of salt.
6. Simmer on low, partially covered, for 2-3 hours. If in a hurry, cover the pot completely and simmer on medium-low for 20 minutes.
7. Once ready to serve, top with tortilla strips, avocado, greek yogurt, sour cream, sliced green onions, sliced jalapenos, or whatever you like!
**Definitely add more liquid if you will be cooking the soup for a long period of time. If only simmering for 20 minutes, feel free to use less liquid.
Keywords: Chili, Beef, Soup, Dinner, Easy Dinner, Simple Dinner, Fast