This spicy chili packs a punch! To minimize the spice, substitute red bell peppers for the Fresnos in the soup and simply garnish with a slice or two of Fresno at the end. This chili can be ready in as little as 30 minutes, however it can also be made ahead and simmer covered, on low, for up to an hour if you prefer.
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 Cloves of Garlic
1/4 Cup White Wine
2 Ears of corn, off the cobb ~2 Cups frozen corn
2 Fresno Chili Peppers (optional) or sub with bell peppers, divided
2 cans of White Cannelloni or Great Northern Beans – divided
2 Cups of Shredded Chicken (1/2 rotisserie, or 2 breasts)
4 Cups Chicken Stock
1 1/2 Tbsp Chipotle Powder
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 tsp Oregano
2 Tbsp Greek Yogurt
1. Mince shallots and garlic and add to a soup pot with some olive oil. Sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes.
2. Add in white wine and let simmer for 3 minutes.
3. Add in corn and 1 minced chili pepper, or 1/2 of 1 red bell pepper. Sauté another 3 minutes.*
4. Rinse beans well and take 1/2 the beans with 1/4-1/2 cup of stock and blend them in a blender or food processor. Add the blended and whole beans to the pot.
5. Add chicken stock and chicken along with all the spices. Simmer, mostly covered (but let some steam escape) for 10 minutes.
6. Add in large dollop of greek yogurt (can sub sour cream if desired) and stir well.
7. Dish up the soup and top as desired with cheese, avocado, greek yogurt/sour cream, more peppers, chives, onions, etc.
Fresno peppers can be quite spicy for some people, if you prefer a milder spice, use red bell peppers in the soup and just place a slice or two of a Fresno on the top to garnish.
*If you like to have thicker chili, Add the stock right after adding the corn and peppers, and then remove 1 cup of all the ingredients in the pot to blend with 1 cup of beans. This will make the soup extra creamy and thick without needing to add a lot of dairy.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 8oz
- Calories: 475
Keywords: Chili, Chicken, Quick Meals, Staple Meals, Soup, Spicy